#30Over30PHL - Katie Griffin
Today, we are featuring the inspiring and humble Katie Griffin, owner of Katie Griffin Casting based here in Philadelphia. Nominated for her eagerness to support her entrepreneur peers, Katie has strong inner confidence and is always willing to connect with other creative thinkers.
Name: Katie Griffin
1) What neighborhood in Philadelphia do you call home? Fairmount
2) Tell us about what you do professionally: I am a casting director at Katie Griffin Casting. My job is to audition and book the best possible talent for my clients, which include production companies, networks, record labels, etc. I basically find platinum needles in silver haystacks.
3) What makes you happy? Knowing that I’ve delivered above and beyond my client’s expectations, and finally seeing talent who I’ve painstakingly cast on commercials, television shows, music videos and ads.
4) Who inspires you and why? Actors because they face rejection every day and still bring their very best to auditions.
5) What's your biggest regret and why? Not starting my casting company when I was a fearless 20-something.
6) What is your life motto? Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice.
7) Name a guilty pleasure: Philly Flavors. Have you tried their soft serve?
8) On what occasion do you lie? My age…give or take a year.
9) What's in your purse right now? Head shots, digital camera, business cards and spin shoes.
10) What is your greatest extravagance? Vacations – I don’t often take them, but when I do, I spare no expense.
11) Where is your favorite travel destination? Ask me again in 2 months, when I return from Southeast Asia.
12) How do you take your coffee? Every morning, my hunny makes me Fairmount’s Finest – 1 cup dark roast, 2 pumps vanilla and a dash of half & half.
13) What is your most treasured possession? My 8 year old fur kid, Pearl. Sometimes I swear she’s a human.
14) What is your favorite magazine? Variety. It’s my #1 source for entertainment news.
15) What advice would you give your 20-something self? Save 30% of every paycheck because the tax man cometh.
16) Where can we find you on a Friday night? Crushing the latest season of whatever’s on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime or HBO. I like to call it research.
17) What motivates you? Success, which comes in many forms and factors, and the hustle. I love the hustle.
18) What's something unique that we can find on your desk or around your workspace? PILES of actors’ head shots and a Ganesha, the remover of obstacles and lord of success.
19) What's the best relationship advice you've ever gotten? 1. Make peace with your past, so it won’t screw up the present. 2. Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, and don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
20) What's your favorite thing about Philadelphia right now? That I can have the quality of life I’ve always wanted while building the career of my dreams. I never thought that when I left Philadelphia 18 years ago, I’d return to do the very thing I love.
21) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? I would be Sway, the superhero with the ability to control time. If I were her, I’d be able to stop and start time in order to get everything done.
22) Do you have a fashion icon? I love the clean, classic style of Grace Kelly, the dangerous curves of Marilyn Monroe and the bohemian chic of Brigitte Bardot.
23) If you could go back to one decade in history, which on be would it be and why? The Golden Age of Hollywood. With the creation of the studio system, it was a time of glamour and prestige. I would have LOVED to have been a studio giant (or a movie star) during that time.
24) Where's your favorite place to eat? I have a new rule. Because Philadelphia has so many incredible restaurants popping up, I avoid eating at the same place twice. My favorite spot this week is Brick & Mortar in the Goldtex building.
25) How do you stay sane balancing your life and career? Gratitude lists. I do them everyday to keep me honest and humbled.
26) What's your favorite drink or cocktail? Water. I like to have a clear mind and body.
27) What is your favorite movie? Which genre and from what era?? I’ve seen thousands of movies and too many stand out for performance, directing, cinematography, score, etc. To name just one would be impossible.
28) Tell us about an embarrassing moment you recently had: I don’t get embarrassed.
29) What's your favorite app right now? PHHHOTO because I love making mini-movies from pictures I've taken.
30) If you could, what would you say to yourself fives years from now? The reward was worth the risk, Katie.
#30Over30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Melissa Alam of Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala of Fayme Problems. #30Over3PHL is being presented with support from Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia.