#30Over30PHL - Kimberly Fink
Today's #30Over30PHL is of a woman we won't find hard to admire. After being diagnosed with cancer in 2011, Kimberly Fink battled her way to a healthy life along with a side of entrepreneurship. Enter TREATMint, a subscription based service to provide beautifully crafted gifts for cancer patients. We applaud Kimberly for her bravery and turning her personal situation into one to help others. Everyone - meet today's #30Over30PHL recipient!
Name: Kimberly Fink
1) What neighborhood in Philadelphia do you call home? East Falls
2) Tell us about what you do professionally: I’m the founder of Treatmint Box, a subscription gift box specifically for people with cancer (Think Birchbox or Dollar Shave Club, but for cancer). When a person is diagnosed with cancer, friends and family struggle to know what to do. We make it simple. Each monthly box contains a selection of items chosen for comfort and inspiration and curated by our community of cancer survivors. Customers choose from a 1, 3, 6, or 12-month delivery plan, leave their personalized message of encouragement and we deliver their gift of support to their loved one’s doorstep each month.
3) What makes you happy? Having little adventures, Japanese candy, being spontaneous, a Bassetts Peanut Butter Ice Cream cone, and sitting on a surfboard with my toes in the ocean.
4) Who inspires you and why? Please who use their voices for other people who don't have one, like... Audre Lorde, Mother Theresa, James Baldwin, Malala Yousafzai, Suzan Shown Harjo.
5) What's your biggest regret and why? No regrets. Only lessons. And I've had a lot of them!
6) What is your life motto? It can pretty much be summed up by this Audre Lorde quote...“When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.”
7) Name a guilty pleasure: Mango Hi-Chew candy. I can't stop myself.
8) On what occasion do you lie? On the occasion that someone asks you if you like their new hair cut!
9) What's in your purse right now? My laptop, Field Notes pad (for ideas), Hi-Chews, Sharpie pens, extra phone battery, Triple C headphones, Kate Spade glasses, Bobby Brown Red Carpet lipstick, and business cards (always!).
10) What is your greatest extravagance? Travel. It's always money well spent! I'd take an adventure over something material any day.
11) Where is your favorite travel destination? Anywhere you can surf. Most recently I was in Cabarete in the Dominican Republic. It was chill and the waves were awesome.
12) How do you take your coffee? Whole milk and bit of sugar.
13) What is your most treasured possession? My wedding ring. It was my husband's great-great grandmothers. I love the idea that I get to wear something that was treasured by so many other women.
14) What is your favorite magazine? Philadelphia Magazine, of course!
15) What advice would you give your 20-something self? Don't spend all your time thinking about how you can be the best or the most successful. Do what you are passionate about. Focus on the work. Focus on what you provide and everything else will come.
16) Where can we find you on a Friday night? Hanging out with friends and family. Sometimes that snuggled up on the sofa.
17) What motivates you? Making a difference in people's lives.
18) What's something unique that we can find on your desk or around your workspace? My work keys... they are on a key ring bracelet of my great grandmothers. People always ask me where I got it.
19) What's the best relationship advice you've ever gotten? Think of love as a verb not a noun. Love doesn't just happen. It's work. A lot of it!
20) What's your favorite thing about Philadelphia right now? Four words... Big Gay Ice Cream.
21) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? I'm not well versed in superheroes, but I'd like the be the kind that could stop time. Do those exist?
22) Do you have a fashion icon? LUPITA NYONG'O is just perfection.
23) If you could go back to one decade in history, which one would it be and why? I would have like to be an adult in the 1980's. I think I could have rocked some mean shoulder pads.
24) Where's your favorite place to eat? Freddie and Toni's...best Puerto Rican food in the City.
25) How do you stay sane balancing your life and career? I try to embrace the insane! I remind myself that as long as I focus on the work and the impact it's having... a little insane is okay.
26) What's your favorite drink or cocktail? Cucumber Margaritas.
27) What is your favorite movie? Cinema Paradiso... such a beautiful movie.
28) Tell us about an embarrassing moment you recently had: Umm, like today when I unknowingly asked an iWatch team member if he liked his Apple watch!
29) What's your favorite app right now? Does Amazon Fresh count? I have no room for grocery shopping in my life so being able to order groceries on the run is such a lifesaver.
30) If you could, what would you say to yourself fives years from now? "See, I told you so."
#30Over30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Melissa Alam of Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala of Fayme Problems. #30Over3PHL is being presented with support from Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia.