#30Under30PHL - Sara Ann Kelly
And our last lovely lady from this month's #30Under30PHL list is the amazing Sara Ann Kelly! As an inspirational #girlboss and owner of her own public relations firm, Sara is a busy lady these days. Learn more about her and all that she's doing below! 1. How old are you? 29.5
2. What do you do? I am the Founder and HBIC of Sara Ann Kelly Public Relations. SAK PR is a boutique firm that offers public relations, management, branding strategy and business and creative consulting. I work mainly within the food, publicity, fashion and start up industries, but am open to working with all types of businesses or entities that are a good fit.
I am also proud to be the Director of Communication and Development of The Hive, the brand new all female co-working space located in Old City. Introducing the fantastic members and their businesses to the media both locally and nationally is the most exciting part of my job. Creating symbiotic and organic relationships between The Hive and successful and established companies is also an incredibly invigorating part of this adventure.
Outside of SAK PR and The Hive, I also unofficially dabble in Astrology/Universal Ideology and foreseeing the imminent future.
3. What neighborhood in Philly do you call home? South Philly
4. What is your favorite thing right now about Philly? 100% THE HIVE! (www.thehivephilly.com)
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement thus far? Creating and growing my own PR firm and developing my career successes, all while doing it MY WAY. (Cue Frank Sinatra...)
6. If not yourself, who would you like to be? A satisfied and simple recluse living off of the land somewhere beautiful, quiet, and WiFi-less. Preferably a nomad wearing Carhartt overalls and a flannel while chopping firewood.
7. Your idea of happiness. Eating an ice cream cone while watching the sunset on my beach at home in Cape May, with just enough of an ebb and flow to make the 'lapping' White Noise App beach sound.
8. Guiltiest pleasure? I have a pretty serious relationship with ice cream. We see each other daily, and I DON'T feel guilty. #justdomoresquats
9. Favorite inspirational quote(s)? "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."- Good ole' Teddy Roosevelt aka creator of the Teddy Bear AND Our Great American National Park system. Oh, and "#TEAMNOKIDS4LIFE"- SAK
10. What do you appreciate the most in your friends? Hands down, LOYALTY!! Honesty is a close second.
11. Favorite food in Philly? My favorite food is anything Chef Christina Wilson makes, but since she is currently located on the West Coast I'll have to say SKETCH Burger. Located in Fishtown on Girard Avenue, SKETCH has the best Vegan Burger on the planet. Wear sweatpants, pull your hair back, and order it with an avocado and grilled onions. Extra aioli sauce on the side might be a great idea as well. You're welcome.
12. Favorite drink in Philly? Daily Iced La Colombe Coffee from CAPOGIRO. Their cold press iced coffee has captured my heart and soul. I am more than #SLIGHTLYOBSESSED. I LOVE YOU @CAPOGIRO!
13. Favorite song right now? "Fallin'"- HAIM, Duke Dumont Remix playing from several speakers half the size of my body.
14. A book you plan on reading? CONSUMED: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole by Benjamin R. Barber
15. A book that powerfully impacted your life? "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay moved me in a pretty intense way. It is a story of a young English boy named Peekay and his passion for changing the world. It takes place during the 30's through 50's in South Africa during The Apartheid. The importance of camouflage for survival is of great importance in the book, paired with the necessary coexistence of logic and hope. The themes of war, young love, bravery, boxing and overcoming oppression by choosing to act with humanity in mind made this a page turner for me. I've bought more copies than I can count.
16. Name one historical figure you would like to have coffee with. Martha Stewart may not have been your first name or even your fifth when thinking about typical historical figures. But in Female Entrepreneur History, Martha Stewart is the END ALL BE ALL. Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (MSO) launched its initial public offering in 1999 and raised close to $130 million on its first day of trading. Because of this, Stewart became America's first self-made female billionaire. Talk about a #GIRLBOSS. I've had a crush on her since 1993 when her syndicated TV show, "Martha Stewart Living," debuted and have admired her career path for most of my life. (Side note, one of my fondest career memories was live tweeting her 1000th episode for her show "Martha", in-studio. I NEARLY died.)
17. How do you like your coffee? Iced La Colombe coffee with a shot and two shot of almond milk. If I'm feeling frisky I'll shake in some "crunchies" aka raw sugar.
18. Your main fault. I can be rather judgmental of those who hurt the ones I love and find it hard to "wipe the slate clean" regarding my thoughts of them after having gained that unbecoming knowledge. I'm working on it.
19. What is your most prized material possession? I've learned slowly throughout my 20's that attachment is the route of all freaking evil, and I've got no time for that. There are more than a few vintage pieces I would singe my hair off to protect in a random fire, but I'm pretty sure I could be at piece with losing almost any non-living thing in my life. WAIT. My Vintage Russian Wolf Coat is SO serious. #GAMEOFTHRONES #WOLFCOAT
20. Your biggest failure. Not educating myself about private school loans before taking out so many of them for an expensive college degree. I will be paying handsomely for this lesson.
21. What have you learned from that failure? ALWAYS READ FINANCIAL AGREEMENTS. If you don't understand what you're reading, visit a bank/google/read Loans for Dummies. Do what you can to begin paying back your loans as soon as possible. They aren't going anywhere, and will only accrue more interest, which you also have to pay back. Bang out the budgeting/hustling/no new shoes lifestyle until you have a handle on managing your funds. Also, as my father always says, "Pay as you go and you'll never owe." Take out loans responsibly.
22. What is your greatest fear? Being in Philadelphia when the Apocalypse hits and having to make my way down to Cape May in the chaos. That, and putting my feet above my head. Cartwheels have been rather difficult to master. Only a 1/4 of 'Cartwheeling' is checked off of my #bucketlist.
23. Where will you be in 30 years? Living off of the land on a Homestead in Alaska or Montana during the winter and summers in Cape May at my parents home. Keeping busy with a passion PR project, and spending almost every minute of daylight outside. I'm a romantic at heart, so it would be delightful to have a Partner with me to spend my Jane Fonda-esque elderly years with.
24. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday? In the summer, Sundays are made for boat trips to Champagne Island, located in between Stone Harbor and North Wildwood. Followed immediately with whiskeys on my beach at sunset. In the winter, I love nothing more than to start my day with brunch at Green Eggs in South Philly. Their grits are Nirvana. I typically follow that feast with study hall sessions with my entrepreneur peeps.
25. Best date spot? Vedge is SEXY and vegan, which is important to me. Make reservations for a table top next to Chef Magee, order one of everything and at least two cocktails. Thank me later.
26. What does happiness mean to you? I would consider happiness being able to provide for myself and my family by doing what I love everyday. I am a free spirit, and being my own boss is important. Creating my own success with things that innately make me happy is all I can really ask for.
27. Twitter or Instagram? Insta. For life.
28. Describe Philly in a Tweet. "Oh, Philadelphia. Home away from home. City of opportunity, @Capogiro iced coffee, and Barbary dance parties. You had me at #softpretzels... (140)
29. Who should everyone follow on Instagram? @Phillychitchat's HughE Dillon has his trigger finger on the paparazzi pulse of Philadelphia and sometimes AC. Between the Philly sunrises, VIP events, and random neighborhood shots, you will ALWAYS know what is happening.
@PhiladelphiaMFT is a really inspirational and reassuring account run by four therapists entrepreneurs located in Center City. Daily supportive GIFS keep me going when work is super stressful, aka every day.
30. Pats or Genos? I'm a vegan, but HAVE been known to crush french fries at the booth inside of Genos. Joey is a serious doll and an incredible host. Their 24/7 operation is infamous to my neighborhood and does an incredible amount for the community.
#30Under30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia's most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala.