#30Under30PHL - Ilana Waber
1. How old are you? 27
2. What do you do? I am the Director of Client Service for Gloss PR + the membership coordinator for Rittenhouse Row.
Gloss PR is a boutique firm specializing in public relations, strategic marketing + event planning services. We also run Rittenhouse Row which is a non-profit that represents more than 200 businesses in the Rittenhouse area of Philadelphia. Our territory extends far beyond Walnut Street to include the entire business district running from City Hall to the Symphony House from The Four Seasons on the Parkway over to Penn Medicine at Rittenhouse + all the way up to the Schuylkill River. Rittenhouse Row represents more than 200 member businesses including stores, restaurants, hotels, galleries, spa-salons and service businesses.
We have three goals: 1. Promoting the uptown area between the Avenue of the Arts and the river from The Parkway to South as Philadelphia’s premier destination for shopping, dining, style, culture and living. 2. Protecting the destination to keep it as such 3. Promoting our members to help them build their business
We act as lobbyists and advocates for our member constituents and serve as their voice in City Hall.
I also manage the website, blog, social media + weekly eblasts for the organization.
3. What neighborhood in Philly do you call home? Rittenhouse
4. What is your favorite thing right now about Philly? There is a definite feeling in Philly in the fall + I absolutely love it. You can just wander around + end up somewhere you've never been before, a park, a museum, pop-up garden, new restaurant, boutique, etc. It is beautiful.
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement thus far? I have had the same job for almost six years. I started as an intern when I was still in college and I never left. My relationship with my mentor and my boss, Corie Moskow is one of the most important + complex in my life. We are a two person company + a real team.
6. If not yourself, who would you like to be? Kate Moss. I've always loved her. I admire her style, her wit-she's gorgeous but definitely not perfect. Every time she gets knocked down, she gets right back up again, she's my kind of girl, a fighter.
7. Your idea of happiness. That everyone I love is healthy + happy.
8. Guiltiest pleasure? Grey's Anatomy + PEEPS. I LOVE PEEPS. (put them in the microwave for 30 seconds, you won't be sorry.)
9. Favorite inspirational quote? "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." -Muhammad Ali
10. What do you appreciate the most in your friends? Loyalty + their ability to just let me be me. I can be pretty independent + I enjoy doing things on my own, but my friends always know when to be there. They make me laugh.
11. Favorite food in Philly? The Spicy Paiche Tempura + the Bronzizzle Roll at Zama + a grilled cheese from Schlesinger's.
12. Favorite drink in Philly? I'm not a big drinker, but I'm really in to the hot chocolate at Parc!
13. Favorite song right now? That is a really hard question for me, I love music. My favorite song has + always will be, Just Breath by Pearl Jam. I also listen to Ain't No Love by Jay Z on repeat before any big work event + I just recently fell in love with the song Bones by Josh Record.
14. A book you plan on reading? Gone Girl
15. A book that powerfully impacted your life? Columbine by Dave Cullen is incredible. It is a really hard read, but a powerful look at humanity. I highly recommend it.
...I also wouldn't be myself if I didn't give a shout out to Harry Potter. It would be hard to say that a series you started reading in elementary school + ended in college didn't powerfully impact your life.
16. Name one historical figure you would like to have coffee with. Eva Peron. I could literally perform the show Evita for you in it's entirety. I would have a lot of questions. Cleopatra wouldn't be so bad either....
17. How do you like your coffee? Totally + completely black.
18. Your main fault. I wear my heart on my sleeve + I can be hard on myself, as well as others, when it comes to my expectations.
19. What is your most prized material possession? My sneakers (plural). They have their own area in my closet + their boxes all have to face a certain way. One of my biggest thrills in life is hunting down the perfect pair + my Jordans always go at the top of the box pile.
20. Your biggest failure. I once worked an event by myself, that I thought would be a piece of cake + it was a logistical nightmare. It took me a long time to get over how badly it failed. Total hit to my confidence.
21. What you learned from that failure? That life goes on + all you can do is try and learn from your mistakes.
22. What is your greatest fear? Birds. I am absolutely + completely terrified of birds.
23. Where will you be in 30 years? I don't like to make predictions--I wouldn't want to jinx myself. Besides life has a funny way of changing all your plans.
24. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday? I live for Sundays. I usually do coffee + go to Pure Barre in the morning, and then I like to walk around Rittenhouse. It's so much fun sometimes just to wander. If it's raining or cold, a movie is the perfect fix.
25. Best date spot? Franklin Square mini golf + Square Burger!
26. What does happiness mean to you? I think that my meaning of happiness changes from time to time, but could say that it means being totally content in whatever I am doing + to be totally living in a moment. Whether it be working on an event, spending time with my friends + family or relaxing on my couch, happiness would be not wanting to be anywhere else or thinking of anything else at that moment.
27. Twitter or Instagram? I use both regularly, but I will admit that I am terribly addicted to Instagram. Instagram: @laniwabes / twitter: @ilanawaber
28. Describe Philly in a Tweet. Philly is a funny big, little city, with a ton of heart + a lot of character...(+ a lot of characters!)
29. Who should everyone follow on Instagram? Rittenhouse Row, duh! @rittrow ...and Chrissy Teigan, because she is just awesome. @chrissyteigan
30. Pats or Genos? Dalessandro's
#30Under30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala.