#30Under30PHL - Katie Rex
World, meet Katie Rex - today's #30Under30PHL. As the founder of Factory Productions, this fierce female means business. We think you'll all enjoy reading her profile today...so without further adieu meet Katie everyone!
1. How old are you? 25
2. What do you do? My primary work, and what I’m most recognized for, is founding Factory Productions. We’re an all female run company specializing in event production, talent management, & brand strategies. Most widely known for our monthly nightlife event, Factory Girls (Gun$ Garcia, Suga Shay, Yolo Ono, & I), which celebrates femininity through performance art, music, & a powerful visual experience. Our main focus is to showcase female & queer talent on an open platform. I’m also an active DJ & performance artist, but am incredibly focused on the behind the scenes work. I've been working as the Production Manager for Making Time for about 2 1/2 years as well.
Coming up in Philly: Factory Girls is DJing the Hard Candy Anniversary Party (also Suga Shay’s birthday) with Spank Rock (live) & Vjuan Allure (09/25 @ Voyeur), we’re a sponsor for “The March to End Rape Culture” (09/27 @ Love Park), a night of dark wave “Pitch Black” (09/27 @ Barbarella) the Factory Girls DJs are playing with our friends ‘Cutn Paste’ on Halloween featuring Mike Q & Cakes Da Killa (10/31 @ The Barbary), and I’m presenting no-wave performance artist Lydia Lunch at PhilaMOCA (11/01). Lots of really exciting stuff!
3. What neighborhood in Philly do you call home? I split my time between Philly & Brooklyn, so when I’m here I’m staying in Olde Kensington (they just opened a ReAnimator Coffee around the corner 8-D ).
4. What is your favorite thing right now about Philly? The volume of young creative and social entrepreneurs
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement thus far? My proudest moments have definitely been on stage, specifically last November opening for CocoRosie at The TLA and this past summer with Factory Girls performing at Firefly Festival. But, to be honest, graduating college was a really big deal for me (Moore College of Art & Design class of ’13).
6. If not yourself, who would you like to be? Kelly Cutrone
7. Your idea of happiness. Sleeping under sheepskin throws in a teepee in Marfa, TX.
8. Guiltiest pleasure? Sponge cake & bubble tea from K.C.’s Pastries in Chinatown before I get on the bus to New York.
9. Favorite inspirational quote? "I look back on my life with great joy. I think it was a very successful life. I always did what I wanted and never cared what anyone thought. Women's lib? I was a liberated woman long before there was a name for it." -Peggy Guggenheim
10. What do you appreciate the most in your friends? Years of undying support and loyalty with the ability to still laugh ourselves to tears.
11. Favorite food in Philly? Christo’s Falafel Cart at 20th & Market
12. Favorite drink in Philly? Anything designed by Phoebe Esmon (Emmanuelle & The Yachtsman)
13. Favorite song right now?
Everything Sophie, his recent Boiler Room set:https://www.youtube.com/
14. A book you plan on reading? I’ve had this plan for the last year to read George Orwell’s, “1984,” and then read Haruki Murakami’s, “1Q84,” hopefully the stars will align and I'l have the time to do that soon.
15. A book that powerfully impacted your life? Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
16. Name one historical figure you would like to have coffee with. Artemisia Gentileschi
17. How do you like your coffee? Iced & black
18. Your main fault. Stubbornness
19. What is your most prized material possession? Can’t hide it anymore… my stuffed animal, Grover.
20. Your biggest failure. Attempting business school when I was 19.
21. What you learned from that failure? I should stay away from math at all costs.
22. What is your greatest fear? A nuclear holocaust
23. Where will you be in 30 years? Ideally, retired in space… but probably still wearing all black running around like a lunatic backstage somewhere.
24. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday? Running the trails at Rolling Hill Park in Gladwyne
25. Best date spot? First date- Keystone Mini Golf (it’s BYOB) Couple’s date night- Rodin Museum à Vernick à Hop Sing Laundromat
26. What does happiness mean to you? Self-love and security
27. Twitter or Instagram? Instagram
29. Who should everyone follow on Instagram? @youspinlikeagirl @hotsauce_whitesauce
30. Pats or Genos? Dalessandro's
#30Under30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala.