KEEP CALM and Plan Your Wedding!
Almost a year ago my fiancé surprised me with a romantic proposal that I will never forget. A candle light dinner, a diamond ring and “Will you marry me?” written in chocolate, what more could a girl ask for? I don’t think I stopped smiling for weeks. Every time I told my proposal story I could feel myself beaming. As the excitement of the engagement continued, it hit me, now I have to actually plan our wedding! Thoughts of poofy bridesmaids’ dresses, vanilla cake or chocolate cake, and seating charts rushed through my mind. Once I snapped out of it, I took a deep breath and got to work. But that doesn’t mean the planning process came easy for me. I had my share of tense moments. So I wanted to share some tips with all of you out there in the process of planning your own wedding.
1. Sweat it Out! Exercise is a great way to help take your mind off all the planning, release tension, and keep you in shape to look fabulous on your wedding day. Make it fun and get your bridesmaids involved too. It’s always a bonus to have encouragement along the way.
2. Shout it Out! Create a playlist to rock out to your favorite songs when you find yourself stressed out from all the decisions you have to make. My top go to songs are Katy Perry's "Roar" and Beyonce's "Listen."
3. It’s All About You! Keep in mind everyone will have an opinion about what they think you should do or incorporate in your wedding. Let family and friends know you appreciate their input but remember this is your day, express your feelings upfront about how you envision your special day.
4. Done and Done! Set weekly goals for yourself to complete tasks so you don’t become overwhelmed with everything all at once. If you’re not the most organized person try using a wedding organizer to keep you on track.
5. All Star Lineup! Designate people in the beginning of the planning process that you trust and are committed to helping with tasks you don’t have time to complete. I named my helpers my M.A.I.D. Squad, Managers of All Things I need Done.
6. Stick To Your Budget! If you can’t afford something right now don’t stretch yourself so thin that you’re eating Ramen Noodles for dinner every night leading up to the wedding. We wanted to honeymoon on a private island in Fiji, but decided the beautiful island of Jamaica would be perfect and affordable. Save those grand ideas for an anniversary celebration a few years down the road.
7. Have Fun!! This is your wedding; enjoy every little detail leading up to your big day.
I hope these tips help offer some comfort to you, just remember, KEEP CALM. Congratulations and happy planning!